The Coterminal M.A. degree program in Sociology is a small program that permits current Stanford undergraduates to study for a bachelor's and a master's degree simultaneously. The coterminal M.A. in Sociology is a flexible, self-designed program.
The department accepts applications once a year; the application deadline is February 3, 2020 for Spring quarter enrollment. There are no exceptions to this deadline. All application materials are submitted on-line. The department does not fund coterminal M.A. students.
To apply for admission to the Sociology coterminal M.A. program, students must submit the following:
- Application for Admission to Coterminal Master's Program available online in mid-September;
- Statement of purpose: should be 2 pages, double-spaced. Applicants should outline reasons for pursuing the M.A. degree in Sociology, including research interests, career aspirations or plans for additional advanced degrees, and other aspects of their academic experiences that may aid the admissions committee in evaluating their motivation for graduate study;
- Program Proposal for Master's Degree: this form should be uploaded to the online application packet. At least 45 units of course work relevant to the degree program must be specified. Example proposals for the current academic year can be found here;
- Undergraduate Coterminal Application Approval form: downloaded from the Registrar's Office website and uploaded to the online application;
- Current unofficial undergraduate transcript;
- Two letters of recommendation from Stanford faculty familiar with the student's academic work; additional letters from teaching assistants, employers, or other individuals are accepted as supplemental materials but are not required;
- GRE scores (must be taken within the past 5 years): Offers of admission will not be granted without official scores from ETS. However, if necessary, unofficial scores can be provided at the time of application. Stanford's ETS institutional code is: 4704; an individual department code number is not necessary. Please be sure to list Stanford University as a Score Recipient in addition to listing it as your Graduate Institution (GI). ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers for college seniors who meet eligibility requirements.
Please see the Stanford Bulletin for additional requirements and detailed information on Coterminal Degree Programs.