The Coterminal M.A. degree program in Sociology is a small program that permits current Stanford undergraduates to study for a bachelor's and a master's degree simultaneously. The coterminla M.A. in Sociology is a flexible, self-designed program.
To apply for admission to the Sociology coterminal M.A. program, students must submit the following:
- Application for Admission to Coterminal Master's Program available online in mid-September;
- Statement of purpose: should be 2-5 pages, double-spaced. Applicants should outline reasons for pursuing the M.A. degree in Sociology, including career aspirations and/or future plans for additional advanced degrees;
- Preliminary program proposal: this is a form in the application packet. At least 45 units of course work relevant to the degree program must be specified;
- Coterminal Application Approval form: downloaded from the Registrar's Office website and uploaded to the online application;
- Current unofficial transcript: please do not request an official transcript from the Registrar's Office;
- Two letters of recommendation from Stanford faculty familiar with the student's academic work; additional letters from teaching assistants, employers, or other individuals are accepted as supplemental materials but are not required;
- GRE scores: official GRE scores are required and must be reported direclty to Stanford from Educational Testing Service (ETS). Stanford's ETS institutional code is: 4704; an individual department code number is not necessary. Please be sure to list Stanford University as a Score Recipient in addition to listing it as your Graduate Institution (GI).
Please see the Stanford Bulletin for additional requirements and detailed information on Coterminal Degree Programs.